20 September 2026

66… 45….2…..1….38….and NOW what ?


Yesterday, Jules and I celebrated our 45th Wedding anniversary. We travelled into Melbourne city and enjoyed our day just wandering along Southbank. Checking out our daughter and her partners new apartment and then had dinner together . It was very nice.  

Mel’s apartment is beautiful and in the building she has some pretty amazing amenities.

A large swimming pool, and spa, and sauna…. A full size Gym, a bbq area and lounge areas….a theatre room that can be booked,  its amazing.  I am not envious at all in any way. 😳😏

She can walk to work, has undercover parking and storage areas. Pretty good really.

When I think about her life, and where she has been and where she now is, I am very grateful, as I am also with both my daughters. 

As you get older, you possibly reflect a lot more on the life you have lived. My girls are doing well, and I am thankful and proud of them both. Has life been perfect for them ? Or myself ?  NOOOOOOO.

But we are all making the best of our lives and I am proud of my family. 

I am proud of where Chels and Anks are…. For their home and the work they have put in,  for the arrival of Aari into our lives…. For the way in which we enjoy each others company…it is special and I love my fam.

I am now 66, just 6 months away from being a pensioner. I can’t believe it. I look in the mirror and don’t see a 66 year old.  These past months have been tough going, but I am coming through it now and there is a big part of me that knows I am not finished yet. 

I know that I have still got something left in my tank.  Something still to give, somewhere…somehow.

The really big questions, I think are, who wants an older man, ? Do I have capacity to work full time anymore ? 

I said earlier I have been reflecting on my life…. In fact what has happened for me, since contracting shingles….is I have also developed insomnia, so when I can’t sleep at nights my mind goes to places I had long forgotten about. Times in my life, long forgotten and have now been remembered. And in some ways it doesn’t make sense. The memories don't line up in my logical thinking.

I feel like I have achieved a few things along the journey….some of those things  are good memories. I have also failed a lot on my life journey, and some of that I am ashamed of and wished it had never happened.

You can’t change the past.

You can only change the future, by the choices you make today… 

You can live with regret, or you can learn forwards by it, and not make the same mistakes again.

When my life comes to an end, which no doubt it surely will.  As it will for every one of us.

I want my life to have counted for something. That the things I did in my life were of benefit to someone, somewhere, somehow. That God would have been pleased with my attempts.

He knows about all my failings and weaknesses, He knows about my wins and successes.

Whilst some people in this world have treated me badly and unjustly, ( as they would have to you as well),

God knows my heart. And He loves me anyway.

So whatever stage in life you find yourself in right now, whether your dreams have been shattered. Or you are deep at peace within yourself…. Can I encourage you…..

Learn from what was.

Live to make an impact.

If people have hurt you, get back up…shake the dust off your being, and move forward and put it down to experience for the future.

Live each day with hope and share grace with others.

Life is short on earth and we need to make a choice to live our lives to the best of our potential.

Help others to do that as well.

I am unsure what is next for me …. Whether I will work again, or not…. 

I still know I am not quite done with just yet.

66 years of life…

45 years of married life.

2 wonderful adult children. ( and their partners)

1 amazing grandson.

38 years of Christian Ministry.

NOW WHAT ?

Only time will tell.

No comments:

66… 45….2…..1….38….and NOW what ?

Yesterday, Jules and I celebrated our 45th Wedding anniversary. We travelled into Melbourne city and enjoyed our day just wandering along So...