J15 - Research project.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other. (John 15:1-17 NIV)

 

Hear it... " You did not choose me, BUT, I chose you and appointed you, so that...you might go and bear fruit, and fruit that will last. "

 

I awoke this morning very early, dreaming of what it might look like if a few like minded, dissastified corps officers decided to try something a bit different for a few months as a trial.

Not grumblers or complainers, or whingers or rebels, NO... but Officers who are tired of the decline we are observing in TSA in our nation...and wanting to try something, " anything " to change the course.

I reckon if 10 of us got together, and put our heads together and put some principles into play, we might see something happen that is different to what we already have. the old adage is true, " if we keep doing what we have been doing, we will keep getting what we already have" ... its pure insanity to think, that if keep doing what we have been doing we will get a different result.

I am told that TSA...AUS (at least, not sure about AUE) has been steadily and slowly declining since 2009. and maybe even before that, and I have some theories. Now I know its true, you dont have to be a rocket scientist to work that bit out, just open your eyes and look around.

 

here are my theories: ( just 4 )

 

1. We stopped going to battle on our knees. We stopped praying together as corps and being serious about that, and I mean not a once in a while prayer gathering ...but an every week, everyday, every month gathering... and also in our social centres. So in my first theory, I am contending that if we get back to the very basic of our call as Christians and as a Christian church, that if we get back to being grafted into the vine in prayer and start pruning away other unproductive areas of our church that are not producing fruit, and major on the basics again, we will once again start bearing fruit that will last.

2. Ministry Audit, to check the health of our corps to see where we are making disciples in the Matthew 28 command. I contend that we have become busy making just about everything else but disciples. We have become busy - performing, pleasing, appeasing, and we are too programmed up. Let us get back to making disciples. An audit of the whole church ministries will show where the pruning must take place and where intentions need to be lifted and some things let go to make room for the potential areas that can be discipleship thriving grounds.

3. Make disciples. When Jesus said "GO" and "MAKE" disciples I am pretty sure it wasnt meant to be an option or idea. But rather a lifestyle for the church and for the Christian. and Yet somehow along the way, it seems to me that we have started thinking that this is some kind of program we should start, or group. Now it can be, but in my mind I believe it is and should be " culture". Who we are and what we do and what makes us tick... it should be natural to us, not a seasonal program. This must change urgently, and it will require teaching, modelling, training and releasing...empowering and pruning back everything that stops us or makesus too busy to make disciples.

4. Its not about the uniform. We are The Salvation Army, however I believe we dont need to lose our distinctives that make us that Army. I seriously dont believe the uniform is a barrier as some make it out to be. We are looking for excuses when we start saying this kind of thing. Recently our shopping centre chaplain led a man to the Lord and he was saved, right in the middle of a food court in Ringwood. The Chaplain dressed in uniform gave an opportunity and opening for that to happen. No barrier at all. The barrier is our disobedience and gutlessness to proclaim the gospel. The barrier is our unwillingness and neglect of making disciples as we were commanded to do. The barrier stems from our neglecting the foundation of corporate prayer.

 

Ok thats it in a nutshell.

 

I know there will be some who read this and throw their hands up in horror...go to it..

but throwing your hands up in the air isnt going to turn TSA around. The only thing that will turn TSA around is a change in our intentions and boldness and courage and returning to the basic truths of the bible, those truths being, prayer first and foremost.... and getting ourselves involved in the disciple making process. I firmly believe that we can do that anywhere, in our corps, in our communities and in our social centres.

 

If you are keen to go for an experimental run with me, I am suggesting this "informal- unapproved - Gary Grant initiated " research project.

J15 ( John 15 starting in July 2015)

from now until the end of the year.

Let me know if you are interested in getting involved in the project, its for my own research at this stage, but here is what I think will happen.

I think in 6 months we might see some pretty significant change in our Churches / Corps, I dont think it will take too long to see those changes, but it will require attention and intention, so dont bother joining me if you are not prepared to change your intentions for the next 6 months.

I would really like to limit it to 10 corps so I can manage the results and research so if you are in, you will need to be in quick...email me at:

gary.grant@aus.salvationarmy.org

 

we have been appointed to go and bear fruit...

could you be producing more "fruit" in your corps ministry ?

I know I could. and I really desire to do so.

I am wondering if anyone else is keen to network and research with me for the next 6 months. ???

We may try and gather together during the 6months somehow...to pray this through.

Let me know if you are keen.

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Greetings to You from India in Jesus Our Lord. Dear Man Of God, Your Writings Are Wonderful... Whenever have you been in India for Preaching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CS IM, I was in Kerala around 6 years ago, and was in Delhi in October last year, preached in Kerala, but not Delhi, that was a holiday.

      Delete
    2. Dear Servant of God, Gary, If God Willing, Please Come to Visit Our Ministries in India. Please Pray for Us. We Will Pray for You.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What got us here, will not get us there.

Salvo style.... God is here.

A few things happening lately.