Standing Firm in amongst opposition.

In Ephesians 6 we read something of what it means to be involved in the battle, which is...being a Christian Church leader. This blog entry is my take on it, based on where things currently lie for me, as one such leader.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. (Ephesians 6:10-20 NIV)

(pic of the ancient city of Ephesus)

For Paul to ask the believers of Ephesus to "pray for him, that he may be fearless" implies that he faced struggle and difficulty every time he spoke about Christ and did what he thought was right to do for Christ.

 

There are times, also... when I (we as church leaders) feel weak and insipid and keep quiet about what we hold as true....and am not fearless as we should and could be for Christ.

A criticism comes, a nasty comment, an untruth... a misunderstanding, an ill conceived perception and the enemy tries to quieten my mouth and resolve. Maybe yours also.

 

I have learned heaps already in my life, witnessed much in the ministry and I am not a stupid leader, I am not perfect, neither do I know all there is to know, but one thing I do know, I am on a journey, led by Christ, attempting to be obedient to His will and call and do what He asks of me to do, even in the midst of the struggle and criticism.

Sometimes people treat church leaders unfairly, say unkind things about them, and let misunderstandings rule the day. Church leaders,(myself included) must remain true to the commitment they have, remain committed to the calling in amongst the storm....and when the opposition comes, STAND FIRM, based on the direction Gods Holy Spirit has led them in.

Paul in his words to the chuch at Ephesus, reminded them and also us, that we must be "pray-ers".... praying in the Spirit. Led by The Spirit, fueled by Him, His servant, standing firm is just part of that.

 

Its hard though isnt it ?

 

We are reminded that the battle isnt against flesh and blood, but its tough when the opposition is or does come in flesh and blood.

 

When I think of this standing firm, thing....I get this image of a lighthouse being battered by the strong winds of a storm, and yet not being moved. and still in the middle of the storm, it still just stands firm letting the light being seen ...bright, true, reliable.

its easy to speak of objects, ........its harder dealing with the human soul and spirit and emotions that are dealt swift and concise blows by the devil, when he is trying to defeat the resolve of a committed church leader.

My thoughts are.... well, my thoughts, they may help you with yours...

 

when the opposition comes, and Paul tells us, its not if they come, but when they come... that we must stand firm, stay true to our calling, stay true to our purpose, even if the struggle is deep within the circumstance... stay true, stand firm, when the devil uses those you least expect he will use... stand firm when your soul quivers, stand true when the lies are spoken, stand firm when it feels like everything is going to come crashing down.

 

and finally let your light shine in such a way, that in the middle of the struggle, in the middle of the battle, in the centre of the oppossition, remain true to what you set out to do for Christ. Whatever that looks like for you as a church leader, let the light shine in such a way as to help others find their way through the storm.

The critics will always be around, they always have been....

They killed Jesus on a cross. They even thought they were doing the world of that day a huge favour by doing so.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

On my journey as a church leader, 19 years now...(and 8 years before that in youth ministry) I have learned much from many. I have had experiences with God that have shaped me, and formed in me, beliefs and faith that could not have been formed any other way. I have some heroes of the faith that have shaped me already, some from within the Army and some from outside of the Army, I have had and still do have, mentors and coaches who have gone before me and proven what it is to grow a church beyond anything TSA has ever seen in Australia,and I listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about, very wise men of God, used by Him for His glory in many ways and over many years. I am who I am today, because of the way in which I have been taught and trained. I have not arrived. God isnt finished with me yet. There is still much to learn. But one thing I do know, you never ever get to jump higher in high jump, by lowering the bar.... if you want to jump higher, you need to raise the bar.

For me and my ministry thats how it is to be. I want to jump higher in my ministry, do more, be more effective, more productive, be more useful to my Master.....

I hope for you and your ministry as a church leader, you may choose today to also raise the bar, and jump higher in your ministry, even if it is a tough as nails to do so.

May The Lord God bless your socks off these days. as I pray He blesses my ministry also.

 

(Iam ever so grateful to the following people for investing in my life over many years...hope I don't miss any)

Not in any specific order...

Rodney Barnard, Ian Hamilton, Shane Baxter, John Bond, Danny G, Frank Daniels, Brian Pratt, Rod Denton, Stuart Robinson, Wayne Pittaway, Lyndon Spiller, Baden Jeffrey, Ken and Barb Wilson, Ross Coverdale, Ross Hailes, Gordon and Lynne Jones, Len and Marney Turner, Brian Morgan, Winton Knopp, Cameron & Sue Wallace, John Jeffrey...

( Brian Houston, Bill Hybels, John Maxwell, Rick Warren, by default of their books and teachings)

and of course... Murray and Gladys Grant, Brian& Ev Golding.

and Julie Grant.

thankyou !!!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What got us here, will not get us there.

Salvo style.... God is here.

A few things happening lately.